fairyliquidizer wrote:
I've also read that it's big, fat, and slow.  Is this true?  Experiences
please guys?

AFAIK this is a _very early_ release from this project. Not sure whether they're calling it alpha, beta or whatever, but I would not expect a true release level of features or quality at this point.

That being said, I'm pretty excited about the project.

I use a lot of disconnected small tools to create, manage and play my music library. These excel at the small tasks they are designed for, but don't really have much in the way of aesthetics when it comes time to sit back a enjoy what you've built. SlimServer is great, but like many I have sometimes wanted the UI of a native app. Songbird looks to have some potential in that department. And the world _really needs_ an open alternative to iTunes and it's kin.

So, how could this work with the Squeezeboxes?

I'm pretty sure a SlimServer would still be in the mix. It drives the SBs, implements the CLI, handles firmware updates, synchronization, and provides an interface for web and the devices. Songbird would generate the non-web user interface, do extra stuff like podcasts, and use some sort of plug-in to communicate to the SS CLI.

The big question in my mind is which application owns the library database. Does Songbird own it and provide linkage to SS (as with iTunes today)? Or does SS own it and provide some sort of data layer linkage that Songbird can use to drive its interfaces?

In any case, this app sure looks like a good candidate for a native app that could drive the Squeezeboxes. It'll be interesting to watch it mature and see what the community does with it.

--rt