On 2/1/06, dborn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I guess I should try a small subset of my music collection with maybe 1
> or 2 multi-disc albums and 1 or 2 "various artists" albums. Now it takes
> too long to go change everything (even if Mp3tag is good) and then
> rescan the whole database.
This makes a big difference - I was struggling with exactly the same
thing you are, a while back, and after several rounds of change tags /
rescan, I got sick of waiting and copied a few folders to a test
location.  I included one of each case that I was trying to solve,
i.e. mp3 and flac for one disc, multi disc, various artist and one
artist (8 combinations only - I didn't bother combining various artist
/ multi disc).

> Last time I tried to use the multi-disc album, I set the title to the
> same thing for each disk, numbered all my tracks starting at 1 for each
> disk and then I used tags "disc" of "discc" to identify the order of the
> discs. This did not work, I got all of them mixed up with multiple
> tracks #1, #1, #1, #2, #2, etc...
I have this working how I want it to, mostly.  Here's what I do, in
case it helps...

I used MP3Tag, same as you.  First thing to check is that you are only
using ID3v2 tags (not ID3v1.1).  You've probably already done this,
but if not there's a thread about it here:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=17678
The last thing I do before I commit tracks into my main music folder
is check the 'Tags' column in MP3Tag to make sure there is only ID3v2
listed there.  And some STILL get through.

I also use the following structure for my folders, which is worth
checking as well, in case SlimServer is guessing at tags for some
reason:
drive:\mp3\artist\album\(tracks)
drive:\mp3\artist\album\disc 1\(tracks)
drive:\mp3\artist\album\disc 2\(tracks)
For various artists:
drive:\mp3\various\album\(tracks)
drive:\mp3\various\album\disc 1\(tracks)

Then, for both MP3 and FLAC, for multi-disc I do this, which works:
Set DISC to the disc number (usually 1 or 2)
Set DISCC to the disc count (usually 2)
This results in the albums showing up under an artist as such:
The Divine (Disc 1 of 2) (1995)
The Divine (Disc 2 of 2) (1995)

For MP3 various artists, I just set the ARTIST tag to the actual
artist, and the system shows the album correctly as a Various Artists
album.

For FLAC various artists, I set the ARTIST tag to the actual artist,
and the BAND and TPE2 tags to the album artist, and again this shows
the album correctly as a Various Artists album.  Setting the BAND and
TPE2 tags may not be necessary - I might have only done this to try to
make the album artist show up in the artists list (which it doesn't).

Under Server Settings | Behavior, I have Compilations set to "Group
compilation albums together" and "List albums by band".
Under Group Discs, I have set it to "Treat multi-disc sets as multiple albums".
Of course, you need to do a wipe and rescan after changing all this.

Finally, I'm running a recent SlimServer Version 6.2.2 (6200) on Windows XP SP2.

Hope that helps,
Geoff