I followed the directions provided in the link below and it now
recognizes my music on another hard drive.

http://www.slimdevices.com/su_faq.html#troubleshooting-sharedvolume

Here's what I think happend: for whatever reason my music directory is
associated to my user account on my computer which makes it
inaccessible to anyone else.  If SlimServer is run as a Windows service
then it does not have permission to access that folder.  Changing
SlimServer as a user would fix the problem.

Hopefully this will help the next person who runs into the same problem
I do.

Some keywords for future reference: multiple directories, multiple
folders

--
abscissa