Thanks for the help, tried Firefox to download NetTest and it worked
fine!!

Still baffled though. Have now installed SlimServer 6.2.2, upgraded SB3
firmware to 35, and if anything it has made the problem worse. Will only
connect to slimserver if it is really close (<3m) to the router now. On
the plus side, again, once it is connected I can move the SB3 right
back downstairs and it maintains the connection and works perfectly.
Even get 100%/100% results from NetTest up to 2000kbps (drops to
86%/86% at 3000kbps). However, as before as soon as I disconnect and
try to reconnect, it fails, and now (because of firmware 35? think I
read of a similar problem on another thread) after saying "connecting
to slimserver..." for a while it doesn't even come up with the "can't
connect to slimserver" message - the screen just goes blank.

As an aside, I also seem to be having trouble connecting to
SqueezeNetwork. Not sure why this is. And (again because of firmware
35?) I am not now even getting "can't find address" error on the SB3
but the screen just goes blank.

Can anyone explain how I can connect close to the router but not at
another location that seems to have the same signal strength and
quality?!!!

Very frustrated, very confused. And I have to give this router back to
the person I borrowed it from tomorrow. None the wiser what router to
buy as a replacement for my Belkin.

<sigh>

PS - have tried steevieweevie's suggestion to try different channels
and that doesn't seem to make any difference (have tried 1, 6 & 11).
PPS - what did you mean by "*good* encryption" stevieweevie??

--
mwoodroof