I am having this same problem.  I have done rescans also.  I am using
flac files and have put them in a directory.  I am able to play them
all using J. River Media Center or other media players.  Most of my
flacs were ripped with either J. River or EAC.  However,  I get this
error of "can't open file" and then the box plays another track in that
album.  For example, with Counting Crows, "Films...." I try to play from
the top but, first, it does not even see track 1, rather it sees track
17 twice.  Then, it will only play track 2 or 17 and if you skip it
plays those two and loops.  If you try to play any other song on the
album you get "Can't open....."

Anyway, since ripping with EAC the only thing I have done to this album
is I have used J. River Media Center to give the tracks an individual
rating of 1-5, so I can play all songs rated 3 or better, for e.g.  But
that is it.

--
dakotadave