strapats Wrote:
> my system seems to act very much like russj's. i never changed any
> settings, but still my sb3 is able to start up my pc. contrary to russj
> however, i'd really like to disable this function. strange thing is
> though, in my bios it says "Power On by Modem/LAN" -> Disabled. the
> settings for my LAN in XP are ok as well ('Allow this device to bring
> the computer out of standby' is unchecked). does anyone have an idea of
> how this might be possible?

If you have a second NIC plugged into the PCI bus, that might explain
it.  Otherwise my guess would be that that on/off switch in the BIOS
for that setting doesn't actually work - maybe you need to update the
BIOS?  Alternatively, check all your other power management settings in
the BIOS and make sure that anything relating to waking the PC is
switched off.

One other thing you could do, if you have a router with firewall built
in, is to filter out magic packets from your LAN (UDP port 9 I think it
is).

Chris.

--
chris.mason