I've been using the READYNAS device from infrant for over a year now and
am very happy with it as a Slimserver music server. Infrant offers a
module for download that turns their NAS into a slimserver server. It
is slower than using a computer but it saves a great deal on your
electricity bill. Currently, I'm using the x6 with 500MB drives -
giving me over 1.5TB of storage on RAID 3. I would recommend performing
a memory upgrade to the base device.
One caveat - since the ReadyNAS is using Linux, it won't serve up your
WMA files. You have to use a different format. It also is somewhat less
customizable in terms of the add-ons that you can install.
For those interested in a hard-core discussion of music serving and my
experience over the years, feel free to check out my blog entry on the
subject:
http://nomadz.seam.tv/nomadz.nsf/dx/10302005081812PMDWIRTF.htm

--
slimditty