Fedder Wrote:
> Any decent firewall should not let spoofed packets enter your private
> LAN. I use the "pf" packet filter as firewall on the FreeBSD box that I
> use as slimserver, fileserver and NAT router at home.
That can only catch spoofed packets which are obviously wrong, e.g.
they're non-routable addresses or are from your internal network. It
can't detect spoofed packets appearing to come from a valid external
network.

> It is correct that SoftSqueeze can use SSH tunneling, but I guess SSH
> encryption / decryption will probably put too much stress on the CPU in
> a hardware Squeezebox. And besides, apart from listening to your music
> stream what benefit would a hacker gain from sniffing the packets in
> the first place...

We're not talking about sniffing, we're talking about attacking the
server to get access to the underlying host.

--
radish