Good news, I found the culprit! I'm using a Motorola Surfboard900 as my
wireless cable modem and the SB2 would drop after about 5-15 minutes,
onle when WPA was enabled. The Motorola Surfboard is also connected to
a Netgear 8 port switch which connects my wife's Mac G4, a Vonage VOIP
router and SNAP server for backup. I disconnected all devices from the
switch and the SB3 stayed connected for an hour. Great. So then I
started to connect each device back into the switch one at a time.

Ultimately I found that the SB3 would disconnect only when the Snap
Server was connected to the LAN. That's pretty bizarre, but why? Well,
I went into the admin control panel for the Snap and found that I had
NetBIOS enabled over TCP/IP and NetBEUI. I changed the setting so that
it was enabled only over TCP/IP, rebooted the Snap and the SB3 and
voila the SB3 stayed connected all night.

So, it seems that this has something to do with NetBIOS over NetBUI
coming from the Snap server. Any ideas? I would assume that this
setting causes the Snap to broacast something to all nodes on the LAN
and is causing the SB to drop the connection.

Anyway, if you are having this disconnect problem, look for any devices
on your LAN that are using  NetBIOS enabled over NetBEUI

--
hifiresource