Aznick,
thaks for the link it was useful to better understand.
I don't know the technical details either but regarding Icecast it's
just the server side of the streaming. Then you need an encoder that
actually produces the stream accesset through icecast.

Radish, Kdf, Aznick
thanks for making me better understand, I really appreciated it.

I tried to move to Linkstation as a server but its 200Mhz processor is
too slow :-( to manage a 40MB slimserver database I guess.

I moved all to my laptop and surprisingly the big latencies were
greatly reduced. The strange thing is that the laptop is less powerful
and has no Gigabit NIC!
Might it be the NIC? I'll try to change it with a new GB NIC I got...

Have a good day!

--
Virgus