> It isn't meant to be a replacement for a music database, and it
> shouldn't be misconstrued as such.
Great, you've finally made a valid point.  Now go back and re-read the
thread and see if you're arguing with me or against me.  I think you'll
see that you've simply restated my original position.

What we don't seem to agree on is: (a) whether tags or a real db is the
best place to store metadata and (b) whether users should be able to
populate Slim's DB directly.

As for others' arguments that storing metadata in tags leads to greater
portability, that's simply a restatement of the argument "the others are
broken too, and so we have to do it this way."  If all player software
allowed import/export of db's, then all this would be irrelevant, and
tags could go back to their original purpose -- to support portable
players.

- Jeff

--
JSonnabend