tom permutt Wrote:
> Indeed, "radio set" was once the jargon. Furthermore, it was meant to
> suggest that what was being talked about was not a single device but a
> collection of devices, mainly tubes, even after radios (sic) were being
> sold in single boxes to people not manly enough to build their own.

Ah, it hadn't ocurred to me that "set" in that context meant, well,
"set".  Makes perfect sense now.  That's one of those things that went
from making intuitive sense to just being arbitrary.  It's sad to see
when that happens in language.

I'm barely old enough to remember Heathkit.  They used to have a store
here in LA over in the Mid-Wilshire area.  A fun destination when I was
a kid.  I built an alarm clock and lamp controller but never a radio or
television set.

--
rudholm