JJZolx Wrote:
> Dan has said this will be doable in SlimServer 6.5, where the scanner is
> a program separate from SlimServer itself.  If given access to the music
> files, the database, and the SlimServer preferences, it can run on
> another machine.
>
> Keep in mind, though, that the music files will have to be pulled
> across the network by the scanner.  A scan running locally on a slower
> machine in which the music drives are mounted may end up being quicker
> due to faster file access.

..but I noticed that the Infrant supports Gigabit Ethernet, so if the
PC also has GigE and you have a GigE switch, how would the network
transfer times compare with an external USB or Firewire drive? (which
is what I've got at the moment)

Would GigE not be at least comparable? (I'm not an expert on this and
I'm sure there are lots of factors that would affect performance)

--
mikerob