I don't think there is a need to test Mplayer - I noticed the following
line

Code:
--------------------

  [AO OSS] audio_setup: Can't open audio device /dev/dsp: No such device

--------------------

This means there was no audio out device which is what you said.  My
Mplayer test will save  audio out to a file in WAV format. This test
Mplayer running.  It will also generate lots of messages per packet of
audio (the 2nd "-v" does this).  You can run the test but I think
Mplayer is ok.

To see why no audio from slimserver - do a log with d_source when
selecting a BBC station.  Preferably from a command line so that
mplayer.sh output is also logged.

--
bpa