I recently purchased Sennheiser HD-650 headphones

Is there any difference between the line out and headphones output?

Nice headphones, congrats.

Line outs aren't meant to drive a load so they aren't designed to
provide the power needed for that. On top of that, the Senn HD-650s
(while great cans) are notoriously difficult to drive. Even low end
headphone circuits (like you'd find on a portable music player) are
hard put to adequately drive those 650s. You'll definitely hear a
noticible difference with a good headphone amp.

A great place for all things headphone is Head-Fi:

www.head-fi.org

Lots of discussion of headphone amps, why you'd want one and which
ones work best with which headphones. I'll leave you with the
tradition Head-fi greeting:

Sorry about your wallet.

:-)