I also think the current remote is fine basic remote. What I have been
looking for is an improvement on the basic. If you're using a Universal
Remote instead of the SB remote then you paid for a remote that you're
not using. (Believe me, SD factored their cost of the remote in the
final price of the SB)

Most hardware manufacturers price their products based on a single set
of "basic accessories" bundled with their gadgets. Lately, some
manufacturers are providing different bundles with "enhanced
accessories" at higher prices. This allows them to cast a wider net.
You want basic; buy the basic... you want enhanced... ____ (fill the
blank) Look at the Xbox. You can buy either the basic or the premium
package. Incomplete toys are good source of profits. SD can get revenue
from licensing the SD logo to a specialized remote control manufacturer.
Look at the iPod accessories market... I know... a big stretch.

This is what I'd like to see from SD. The remote does not have to be
manufactured by SD or branded SD. (I don't know if SD makes their
remote or if it's re-branded) I believe that SD or someone else can
develop a Wi-Fi remote with a color LCD for the SB/Transporter family
that works like an MP3 player. I want to walk around the house and
select the song(s) I want without having to walk up to the SB. I admit
it... I'm almost 50 years old and I can't see too well. But even at
this late age I have come to enjoy the ease with which I can navigate a
large music library from an MP3 player. There is no need to reinvent the
wheel. The technology to get this done is all there. To me the icing on
the cake would be if SD bundled an enhanced Wi-Fi MP3-like remote that
could also act as a Universal IR/RF remote. I'd gladly pay the premium.

Currently, to solve my remote problems, I'm going to spend more money
buying someone else's remote. I'm looking to get a Logitech 880 and so
the money spent under the table on the SD remote was wasted. Oh, I
forgot... I might need it to update the firmware.

--
tamanaco