Fifer Wrote:
> I think you can opt for a pony instead of the free SB3. But I agree with
> Mark. It's a music player, not a Swiss Army knife.

My statement was more about how well Slim Devices could do a media
player compared to everyone else and there dog, there general
architecture and UI are streets ahead of the pack. :-P

On the audio front it's a shame there's no FireWire Audio i/o or even
HDMI Audio, AES isn't that common in home audio gear.

But back to the topic ;), it certainly looks the part and compared to
the SB3 it's a lot nicer design wise. I never really understood why
they went from the minimalistic SB2 form with only the display (the bit
you need to see) visible, to the functionally identical SB3 but with a
dirty great big bit of silver plastic taking up half the front (other
then to give them somewhere to stick a logo so to answer what must a
common question from Squeezebox virgins on there first sighting, "Oh
Wow! What's that thing?" :).

The SB2 is the only AV component that I don't hide away in the rack
now, it makes an excellent clock and weather/info display when not in
use and a perfect UI for music playback when it is in use... in fact to
be honest if I did have the Transporter, chances are I'd rack mount it
and just slave the SB2 to it for a display.

--
ailean