fauzigarib Wrote:
> mkozlows,"That said, it hardly matters. I have a WMA Lossless library,
> and the server transcode to FLAC is seamless."
>
> What does this mean?  I've just started messing around with flac, and I
> found that it takes forever!  Of course, since I'm completely new at
> this, I could be doing it completely incorrectly.

Seamless transcoding to FLAC just means that the SlimServer decodes the
WMA Lossless stream to a WAVE stream which then again is encoded to a
FLAC stream which in turn is sent to the SqueezeBox.

If you already have FLAC files there is no need for this decode/encode
to take place on the server as the SqueezeBox supports the FLAC format
natively and the file is streamed directly from SlimServer to the
device without any more work on the server.

fauzigarib Wrote:
> mkozlows,
> I downloaded EAC, and FLAC, and configured EAC to use an external
> compression program and pointed it to use FLAC.exe.  Is this correct?
>
> It took me over 25 minutes to do one jazz cd last night... is that
> normal?
>
> Any help is appreciated... I haven't had a chance to search teh forum
> yet, so i'll just get down to that.

Sure it can take that much time, I've had CD's that EAC has used hours
on. EAC setup is important though, depending on what you are after. I
have mine configured to make sure I get only 100% copies. Also, if you
install AccurateRip you could get verification online - by CRC - that
you ripped the exact same data as others did for the same track.

--
Terje