Brian Ritchie Wrote:
> It's closed because it's considered a duplicate of another bug (2985),
> discussion of which seems to be active at the moment.  The title of
> 2985 ("WMA VBR transcoded to WAV truncated") made me wonder whether I'm
> not seeing the problem because I'm not using VBR; but I am (for some
> tracks at least).  However, as far as I can tell, my SB3 is playing the
> WMA natively, and WMA is not being transcoded to WAV (or anything else).
> I suppose it's another thing you could check. (web i/f: Server Settings
> / File Types, and check that "Windows Media - Windows Media -
> (built-in)" is checked. For what it's worth, mine has 4 entries for
> Windows Media (the others are to FLAC, MP3 and WAV) and all are
> checked. I think that's the default.)
>

> How did you play them? In WMP? Or did you try to play them in SS before
> re-scanning? I wonder what happens if you try? (SS can get confused if a
> file changes underfoot; at least, I've seen this introduce problems, but
> never fix them!)
>

> But *different* files, you say.  Have you ever had the situation where
> the SAME file is corrupted again immediately afterwards? (That is, you
> copied it from backup, and it played OK before the scan, but not
> afterwards?) (See "Hmm. (no. 2)" below.)
>

> Dan has said that SlimServer should not be changing your source WMA
> files. This suggests that any corruption you are seeing is some kind of
> conflict between what is there and what SlimServer *thinks* is there.
> So looking at them through SlimServer is probably not a good way to
> check whether the files themselves have become corrupted. (However, you
> say that a corrupted file won't play in WMP either, which implies that
> the file really is corrupted, and not just SlimServer's view of it.)
>
> You mention an "ARTWORK" folder (for the first time). Is there really
> an ARTWORK folder on your hard drive, or do you mean the "Browse
> Artwork" page in SlimServer's web interface? If you mean the latter,
> then what happens when you go to the tracks via Browse Artist or Browse
> Album, and play them? (And what happens if you do this after a scan but
> before (or without) using Browse Artwork? It seems unlikely that the
> act of browsing by artwork could be the cause, but...) If they're not
> appearing properly under Browse Artist etc., how about looking for them
> with Browse Music Folder?
>
> (Hmm: once you find a corrupted file, try this: restore the file from
> your backup copy. Then - without doing a rescan - find it in SlimServer
> by using Browse Music Folder.  Better?  However, I've seen SS get very
> confused if I try to use Browse Music Folder to "update" existing
> tracks, rather than to add completely new ones; so I can't really
> recommend this.)
>
> The appearance of a "new" NO ALBUM "folder" (again, I suspect you mean
> in SlimServer's web interface, not on your hard drive) implies that SS
> is having trouble with the tags (or that the files really don't have
> [...]

Under Server Settings / File Types, and check that "Windows Media -
Windows Media - (built-in)" is checked.

No, there is no ARTWORK folder.  No, not all the files appear in
Artwork / No Album.

Sometimes the files change size after the rescan.  Sometimes some of
the tag information is missing after the rescan.  By the way... is
there a better wan to edit .wma tags other than Windows Media Player?

I have tried both restoring only the corrupted files and also all the
files of a particular album.  I have tried both copying over the
exisiting files and removing the existing files prior to copying the
backup files to SS.

I copy both .wma and mp3 files.  This problem is only with .wma files.
When replacing corrupted .wma files on the SS machine, I copy over my
LAN from the computer sitting next to the SS computer to it.

At this moment I am listening through SS some files that I just copyied
back to the SS machine from the backup machine because after my most
recent scan some of these album files (.wma) became corrupted.  I have
not rescanned since copying the files to SS and they are playing just
fine.

SS doesn't say anything about the files, it just skips over them if
corrupted.  It may play a bit of each but just skips over.  Windows
Media Player on the other hand does indeed state that WMP cannot play
the file because it is corrupted.

--
fingers