For the record, and after numerous installs / upgrades, I now expect
difficulties to some degree.  To soften the potential devastation to my
precious music & playlists I've compiled a reinstall pack.

This pack, although personal to me, includes all the prerequisite
settings such as:

Playlists location;
Plugins (beware of any reinstalling any redundant plugin when changing
versions);
lame encoder;
mplayer.exe (although not essential since AlienBBC now includes this
for v6.5)
backup of all playlists;
plugin logins / passwords;
player formatting

This list is by no means exhaustive but it may help others to know that
this generally serves me well.  I intend to compile a definitive list of
necessary files & settings soon & post in the forums.  Good idea?

The most common filepath which I tend to forget is that to my iTunes
music & playlists.  A fresh reinstall usually points to

C:\Documents and Settings\ADMINISTRATOR\My Documents\My
Music\iTunes\.....

In my case, these files are in:

C:\Documents and Settings\OWNER\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes
Music

I strongly suspect that this has caught many others out also!

Simon

--
ipodscool