JimB;147108 Wrote:
> good luck with the hack

> Under basic agreement with SCEI, Terra Soft was granted a unique
> opportunity
> to develop and bring to market a complete Linux OS for the Sony
> PLAYSTATION
> 3. In development of Yellow Dog Linux v5.0, Terra Soft integrated and
> enhanced code from Barcelona Supercomputing Center, Sony Group, and
> Fedora in
> order to offer the following:
> - kernel 2.6.16
> - gcc 3.4.4 and glibc 2.4
> - Cell SDK 1.1
> - OpenOffice.org 2.0.2
> - FireFox 1.5.0 and Thunderbird 1.5.0
> - Nautilus 2.1.4
> ... and a suite of Personal Accessories, Development Tools; Sound &
> Video,
> Internet, and Networking applications.
>
> A single-click installer enables absolutely anyone to install without
> instruction.

More than just a 'hack' then, this looks like it could be the real
deal. Yes, you could build a linux box a little bit cheaper, but not
with the power of a PS3. But if you plan to get a PS3 anyway, as i
probably will after a couple of price drops, it could be interesting.
Would be nice to access Slimserver's interface on yer HD pannel from
the comfort of your armchair. You could even run a few visualisations
etc. You could even rip CD's in theory. I think it sounds great
persoanlly.

--
autopilot

*SlimServer Version:* 6.5 - Windows XP.
*Amp:* Cambridge Audio 640a (living room) / Denon MD30 (bedroom).
*Speakers:* Mission 701's (living room) / Kef Cresta 1's (bedroom).
*Remote:* T-Mobile MDA Vario / Sony PSP / Cambridge Audio Explorer
(IR).
*Clients:* 1 Squeezebox3 + Softsqueeze.