Dan Sully;147909 Wrote:
> FLAC support is here to stay.
> SqueezeNetwork is here to stay.
> Linux/Unix support is here to stay.

I believe that you mean this.  But -- and I don't mean this to be harsh
-- the whole problem with a buyout like this is that you're no longer in
a position to make these decisions.  If Logitech corporate decides that
SqueezeNetwork is too expensive to maintain, or that providing support
for Linux and FLAC isn't worth it, it doesn't matter how much you want
to keep them around.

And yeah, I know Logitech won't do that right now, and maybe they never
will.  But man, you can only watch so many good products die after being
bought out before a pattern starts to become apparent.

Anyway, though, that's where the open source thing comes in.  One of
the key motivators for me to purchase the Squeezeboxes is that the
software is open source, so if Slim went under or got bought for
pieces, my devices would still work (and could even be enhanced, if
there was a big enough community or I was willing to wrangle enough
Perl).  So there's always that as a backstop, which prevents the worst
case from being too terrible.

--
mkozlows