Human nature is a strange thing.

Before I bought my wife her last Mercedes, a car buff friend insisted
we drive a Honda before making up our minds. He felt the Accord coupe
was a more modern, somewhat better car than the Mercedes coupe and
would save us about $8000.

>From the test drive, I'll go as far as to say that the Honda completely
impressed me. Still, we couldn't bring ourselves to buy it. Japanese
cars are what we bought our daughter until she could afford to buy her
own car.

I know that Mercedes today is made by Chrysler, whose cars we also
wouldn't buy, yet, the association doesn't bother me. Maybe because
they're so different.

Everyone here is already in the Slim Devices choir. To audiophiles in
the outside world, if they know about the Squeezebox at all, its just
like the Roku but doesn't get written about as much or its just like
the Sonos but without the pretty remote control. Another one of  those
cheap IPod thingees for the home. Plus, aren't the good ones, like the
McIntosh, servers anyway?

So, you already have Volkswagon bringing out a go fast car and still
calling it a Volkswagon rather than a Porsche. Can I sell my audiophile
friends on that? Maybe some if they get it that this is something
idiosyncratic and that I'm letting them in on a secret. But now I have
to tell them that the little idiosyncratic company that other than
Transporter makes inexpensive things is really owned by a huge slick
company that makes all kinds of other inexpensive things they already
own. I think that takes the mystique away. For non-audiophile friends
and Squeezebox this won't be a problem. They think of their music
systems as appliances anyway. But for the audiophiles who talk of their
audio systems like they talk of fine wines, mechanical watches or art,
this doesn't really work.

For me, I'm already in the club. Unless Audio Research, Classe or Theta
builds something similar, I'll probably buy a Transporter. Just please
don't name it LogSqueeze.

--
Harry G