Hi All,
Stumbled on this new compact radio that connects via WiFi as well as
Am/Fm. Also found this nice review, which suggest it will connect
seamlessly via slimserver
(http://www.lordpercy.com/roku_wifi_radio_review.htm). No doubt its a
little expensive (250-300UKP) and dublicates some functionality of SB3
(admittedly not as well) but it does provide a one box solution to some
calls for kitchen,bathroom boombox type solutions.

alex

------------------------copy of review -------------------------
Roku WiFi Radio Review

WiFi radios are slowly emerging as an alternate to FM and DAB units as
they offer a much wider choice of stations and as broadband continues
to enter more homes so the bitrate used for online radio stations has
grown to an average 128kbps, more than enough to rival an MP3 player.
With this in mind we sourced a Roku WiFi radio for review, this
soundbridge model is both and AM and FM radio but more importantly it
will join your home or office wireless network and stream radio from
anywhere in the world.
Getting your Roku radio onto a network is a very simple process as it
is achieved via wizard that takes you through each step one at a time
and also copes with secured networks by letting you enter your WEP key,
sadly Roku do not support WPA at present so this could cause you
problems. Once connected you can quickly use either the top mounted
controls or the remote control to access the pre stored stations via
your home broadband or office connectivity.  But it is more likely that
you'll grab a PC or Mac and login to the Roku via its web browser, from
here you get full access to the system and can add new web radio
stations, even assign them to one of 18 preset slots. The unit can
handle both MP3 and WMA streaming formats which is the majority of
internet radio transmissions (but not all).

Roku have two 1.65 inch drivers and a 2.36 inch mini subwoofer are
crammed into a surprisingly small case in order to produce a very
respectable sound from 128kbit sources. There is enough bass to compete
with some DAB radios but perhaps not enough to rival the top end units
from the likes of Sony and Pure digital, however overall the sound is
balanced and does not distort unless you really push it.

The display is a joy to use and is the same as the one used on the
other Sound bridge products, it is easy to read across a room and when
combined with the intuitive menu system and handy remote it is quick to
access your favourite stations and perform basic tasks. What you can
achieve via the front panel is limited and you do find yourself using
the web browser most of the time for serious sessions of
configuration.

Where the Roku R1000 Radio really steps up is in its support for file
based media both on its own SD / MMC card slot and also files shared
over the WiFi network. This works with a number of music server
software vendors including our favourite SlimServer from Slimdevices
inc, we were able to hook up the Roku to see the Slim Server running on
our network and access our library of files. This was a completely
unexpected bonus and a feature we just didn't expect to get from a WiFi
radio. We also found that you can also access and play ACC files (apple
iPod format) as long as they were not DRM protected, no use for iTunes
files but great for Podcasts which are not normally protected by DRM.
according to Pinnacle the Roku will also work with Musicmatch and
Napster but we were unable to test with these two.

Not everything in the Roku garden is rosy however, the biggest issue is
the lack of support for WPA which is far more secure than plain old WEP
encryption, plus there is no Ethernet port so you can't cable up the
radio either. Then there is a lack of a line in meaning it cannot be
used as an amplified for an iPod or other music player, plus the only
line out is a headphone jack, the complete lack of a CD drive means you
can't rip files or play disks so this really is for radio only!

But we won't moan too much as when it comes to internet radio the
Pinnacle Roku Radio does the business, soon we were listening to radio
from around the world from Virgin radio in London to KXYWZZTHP in
nowheresville USA. Perhaps we'd have liked more than 18 presets as you
soon fill them up and having to navigate to stations even when pre
programmed via the web interface isn't the best mode of operation.

You could use the Roku Radio in the bedroom as it does have dual alarm
clocks which have a nice way of slowly increasing volume to wake you up
using a radio station of your choice. It would however make an expensive
bedside radio priced at £300 and if you are already running Slim Server
we presume you may have the excellent Squeezebox unit anyway which can
do almost everything the Roku can.

For £300 we'd have expected a bit more from Roku, perhaps a CD inbuilt
with the ability to rip files would have made the price seem a bit more
reasonable when compared to the £230 Squeezebox 3 or the AE WiFi radio
we tested a few months back. But still the Roku WiFi Radio is a nice
bit of kit and does make www radio stations accessible from your
kitchen!

--
ajmitchell

Check out my other hobby http://ajmitchell.shutterpoint.com