nicoff;162861 Wrote:
> I am transferring the digital data from the SB to a digital preamp
> (Lexicon MC-1) which does the digital/analog conversion.
> My first impression is that I sort of prefer the sound of my standalone
> CD player (by a tiny margin)than when using the SB. (BTW, my CD player
> is a Sonic Frontier CD-1, a tube player (yes, vacuum tube) that only
> has analog outputs; no digital). So no D/A conversion is needed by the
> Lexicon digital preamp when using the CD player.

You're wrong about that last sentence.  The Lexicon will convert the
analog output to digital, do its processing, then convert back to
analog.  So your CD-1 is going D/A (in the CD-1)->A/D (in the
Lexicon)->D/A (in the Lexicon).  The Squeezebox's digital signal is
going through the same Lexicon D/A as the CD-1, but skipping the first
two steps -- so it's pretty much guaranteed that the SB is more neutral
and accurate.

If you prefer the sound of the CD-1, odds are that you like the
euphonious distortions introduced by the tubes.

--
mkozlows