Pale Blue Ego;165790 Wrote:
> It shouldn't take 5 hours to scan your music, unless you have a huge
> library, like 50,000 tracks or more - or, unless you're running
> slimserver on very underpowered hardware.  Also in some cases, the scan
> process can get in a loop due to broken shortcut links.  You can log
> errors during the scan process by checking the "d_scan" setting in the
> slimserver web interface (Home / Server Settings / Debugging)
>
> As far as why the scan process has to happen, it's because slimserver
> is building a database.  It pulls information out of each file and
> holds it in large tables that are easy to search.  Slimserver can't
> give instant access to your collection until it knows what's IN your
> collection.
>
> There's an easy way to add new music to slimserver without having to do
> a complete rescan.  Use "Browse Music Folder", either from the remote
> control or the web interface.  You just navigate to the folder where
> the newly added music is, and slimserver will add those tracks to the
> database.  You can also play the new tracks now.
>
> Hang in there and we'll help you get straightened out.  Slimserver does
> have its quirks, but it is generally solid and quite flexible once you
> get used to it.  Tell us about your server hardware, server operating
> system, size of your music collection, which version of Slimserver are
> you using, stuff like that.

thank you for your reply!
please find the requested details here:

* MS Win XP Prof SP2
* Celeron 900MHz (admittedly not exactly a rocket to the moon)
* Mainboard Intel S815EBM1
* SATA Seagate Barracuda 320GB (latest model)
* onboard graphics
* 512MB RAM

* Promise TX2300 RAID1
* NO iTunes!!!
* NO personal firewall
* Avira Antivir Personal Edition
* 1401 albums/18032 songs/750 artist (I would call it "midsized", at
best ;-)
* NO wLAN, all 100MBit wired ethernet
* realVNC remote access
* D-Link DI-604 wired broadband router, 5MBit/512kBit cable internet

coming soon:
* Slim Transporter
* B&W 802D Speaker
* Arcam FMJ C31 pre amp