Please calm down a little bit. What happened might be annoying, but no reason for such a behaviour.

Let's try to understand what happened and how you can prevent it.

So, even though the 1st resonder to my initial post was being glib, he
was actually right, in that the SB isn?t actually turned off.

Correct. Squeezeboxen never really are off, except when you unplug them. Otherwise they are always connected to some server (or at least should be so), either a SlimServer or Squeezenetwork.

it set so NOTHING displays when it?s ?off?.    So, are you telling me
that this whole thing happened . . . by DESIGN?

Squeezeboxen are dumb devices. All they do and display is fed by a server. If you display the clock, it's the server who tells it to display those few numbers. If you set brightness to 0, it's the server who tells the device to display the numbers with brightness 0 - which you usually don't see.

Now, what happens if the server is down? If the SB lost connection to the server? It is telling you so (some of the few things the box actually can do without the server ;-)). And as it doesn't about the fact that you told the server to use brightness 0, it will display that information anyway. And there's a good reason to do so: if it didn't display that information (or use brightness 0) in case you were actually listening to some music, you'd think the device was dead.

Therefore yes, this is by design.

Yet no one else has related similar experiences

I've learned to sleep in trains, buses, at home, in the field, hanging from some bolt in a vertical wall. This helps.

all don?t have the SB in their bedrooms.

I use it everyday as my alarm clock.

probably only down for maintenance at such early hours, can?t you be
more discrete about it, like maybe an email the next morning, or the
day before, even though I don?t see why such advise is necessary.

That's a reasonable suggestion.

how can I keep this thing from happening again?

Get a timed power switch which turns off power on your devices at night. Or unplug manually. As long as you rely on external services (as the SQN) you always risk to experience the unexpected.

emphatic, because this is a bigger deal than I think Slim Devices knows,
even if it only affects some people more than others.  Being awoken in
the middle of the night is not simply an inconvenience.   Seriously, I
don?t need to be receiving messages from friggin robot servers in the
middle of the friggin night!)

Don't use those robots, then. Really.

--

Michael