Well, doesn't it just figure that after weeks of on and off looking for
solutions that I find some help after I post.  Of course it's in the
FAQ which I thought I had read thoroughly.

Anyway, I think (after about 30 minutes of playing) that the glitches
are somewhat solved.  I've set the MTU on the network adapter in the
registry to 1500.  (There was no entry previously.)

I am still getting pauses where the music just stops for a few seconds
and then resumes at the same place.

(I also upgraded to 6.5.1 but the glitches and pauses were present on
that too.)

--
lairdo