Thanks - that's clear.
I've checked my download speed on several free web tools and they are
coming out at between 1.6 and 2.3 Mb/Sec. My ISP contract is for 8Mb
but the local loop won't do better than 3Mb so I'm told.

Background programmes ? Not 100% sure - I certainly don't use
BitTorrent. I've looked at Task Manager and most of the processes there
seem OK, though can't say I'm familiar with all of their names. Is there
a Startup programmes folder in XP somwhere I can check ?

I've run my virus checker and spy tools and they haven't found much.
That said one reports a Zlob process but when I looked at the
recommended Registry entries and processes (in Task Manager) there was
nothing there !

Hmmm ....

--
liffy99