erland already gave a neat summary of the general options, I'd just like
to add some of my personal experiences (to make choices even harder
;-)):

1. Loudness:
Of course, it is very likely, but a NAS solution might not necessarily
be more quiet than a dedicated PC/workstation solution. I personally
have my music stored on a Buffalo Linkstation II and this one is
significantly louder than my normal workstation (which is an Athlon64
3400+ based Linux workstation which I build explicitely to be as quiet
as possible).

2. Power:
I use the NAS for the 24/7 music server because it consumes much less
power than the PC. If you don't want to waste a significant amount of
money it might make sense to go for either a NAS device or an explicite
low-power optimized PC solution (there are several threads describing
people's projects in the 3rd party hardware forum) or at least setup
something like standby mode and wake-on-lan for the PC your slimserver
is running on.

3. Performance:
As erland wrote the major drawbacks of a pure NAS solution are located
in the library scanning and web interface performance. For my 10,000
song library the Linkstation slimserver needs about 4-5 hours for a
full re-scan while the Athlon PC does the job in <= 20 minutes.
Regarding the web interface, you can find roundabout 10,000 threads
here showing that everyone has his/her own perception of the web
interface response times on slow server machines. It can take several
seconds for some browsing actions to happen if the server runs on a NAS
like the Linkstation. For me that's perfectly OK as I am only using the
web interface for administration purposes at the moment but I'd like to
switch my living room remote to a handheld WLAN device (Nokia770)
completely and e.g. for browsing albums by artwork the NAS server
performance is unaccepatable, therefore I'm thinking about switching to
a PC based server. By the way, the Squeezebox response time for use with
the standard remote is perfectly fine even with a NAS based server.

Hope this helps you somehow to select what's necessary for your taste.

Cheers,
Sebastian

--
srasher