I've been bleating on about this for a while now. I agree with the OP.
One thing I've always been surprised about is that the Slim approach is
to be open; yet around the interface it's taken that the limited remote
control and monochrome display is all one will want.

I've built set top boxes which would be great integrating to Slim in a
kiosk style with a lovely large screen TV.

I'm not surprised, after all the Squeezebox/Transporter is probably how
they make their money. Why provide a better UI for people so they can
avoid buying their products?

--
Smiley Dan