mswlogo;185672 Wrote:
> I'm ready to throw in the towel and just leave my Server running full
> time, waste electricity and shorten life time of my server.

Use more electricity: yes; shorten the lifetime of your server: no.
Computers work best when they are always on.  Most commercial server
machines run 24x7.  I've had my computer running 24x7 for four years
since I built it, and I've had no hardware problems.

Many Linux systems run maintenance programs every 24 hours. On my
machine, these run between 3am and 4am.

If you have a CRT monitor, it's a good idea to set it up to go into
standby mode if it's not used for a while.

If you have a Windows machine, and you leave it on 24x7 and connected
to the Internet, make sure you have a good firewall program.

See http://kb.iu.edu/data/adls.html for details.

--
Ron Olsen