Quoting erland ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):

> Michael Herger;207661 Wrote:
> >
> > What about a wizard style dialog on first startup, asking whether you
> > want to use iTunes, MusicIP or your own music path. If it's the latter,
> > let the user visually choose the path as it's seen by the server (no
> > mounted drive letters and stuff) etc.?

> A wizard would help, since it can make the user do the choices in the
> correct order.
>
> But lets assume that we are talking about someone who doesn't know how
> SlimServer works. This user has probably not realized that he needs a
> tagging/ripping program, so he has no idea what to choose in these
> options. If he has iTunes installed he might choose it, if not he
> probably choose the music path option since he probably doesn't know
> what MusicIP is.

Do we really think that a potential Squeezebox purchasers first
experience with needing to deal with digital music files is buying a
Squeezebox?  I doubt it.

I'd postulate that people that are buying Squeezeboxes today have
already learned to deal with these issues because they have iPods or
other digital music players and through these players are already
well aware of tagging/ripping issues.  iTunes has already handled
those issues for them - if music isn't tagged right they can't find
in on their iPod and they fix it.

Sure it can be done BETTER than by using iTunes or whatever sw came
with their non-Apple devices, but they are certainly already
familiar with the problem.

If SD/Logitech is really interested in fast start for new users to
the SB, then easy fast integration with iTunes is low hanging fruit.
iTunes's already installed, it already has music in it and users are
familiar with it.

As a more experienced user, I'd need the option to follow another
path, but having that fast start for the vast majority of users is
important.

--
http://www.last.fm/user/ddewey