Well, regarding using such a thing in public, I wouldn't, but there are
lots of (annoying!) people who do - at the beach, camping, in their
front (not back) yards, and once even at the grocery store!  Couldn't
figure that one out.

Would I buy one?  Maybe not, but I could really see where they could be
useful.

Seen all the threads about self-powered speakers lately?  Bet you could
sell an SB boombox (can we call it the SBBB?) to them...it would save
money over the SB3 + powered speaker bundle I'd bet.

Do away with the digital and analog outs.  If you need such a thing,
get a Squeezebox.  Keep the headphone output though, but use a muting
circuit when plugged in.  Use a Tripath-based chip amp for low power
consumption, low cost, good sound quality and the coolness factor.  Use
drivers specially-matched to the amp chip, surely Logitech's computer
speaker division can source or manufacture something appropriate.

Sound quality isn't key here, but the sound quality should be decent
with a Tripath or other digital amp and well-matched drivers.  Perhaps
add AM/FM radio?  Power it by "C" cells, although one must ask how long
they'd last given the Wi-Fi power demand - maybe a lithium ion permanent
battery might be better, and it'd be a good selling feature.

--
Mark Lanctot

'Sean Adams' Response-O-Matic checklist, patent pending!'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=200910&postcount=2)