agentsmith;214874 Wrote:
> Looks like net radio gets to live another day
> http://machinist.salon.com/blog/2007/07/13/internet_radio/

I don't read it that way.

First, the main concession is the "per-channel" fee that tended to hurt
individualized oferings like Pandora a bunch, and didn't hurt more
traditional broadcasters so much -- coughing up another $42 per month
probably wasn't going to put bigger operations like SomaFM out of
business, though it sure could hurt Live365's amateur stations.

Second, the retroactive rates haven't changed. "Back taxes" could
clobber a lot of nonprofit stations.

Third, some reports I've seen suggest that the royalty cops
(SoundExchange) now are only offering to hold off enforcement for the
stations that are participating in this round of negotiations. I expect
a large number of small stations simply aren't "at the table" with
SoundExchange right now because they don't have the (relatively) deep
pockets of Pandora and Live365, and can't fly in to DC to plea their
case.

It seems -- and perhaps this isn't surprising given how Michael
Powell's FCC handled the terrestrial broadcast consolidation issue --
that the system is tilting in favor of the bigger businesses and
squeezing out the small players -- even in this "good" news. And I
think that's bad for the arts.

The way I read this, it'd be a good idea for us US citizens to keep
pressing our legislators.

-Peter

--
peterw

http://www.tux.org/~peterw/
free plugins: http://www.tux.org/~peterw/#slim
BlankSaver BottleRocket FuzzyTime SaverSwitcher SleepFade StatusFirst
VolumeLock