erland wrote:

> IMO the problem isn't the open source model, the problem is that there
> needs to be a single person/group that decides how all users wants it
> to work.
>
> As you have already said, the current SlimServer tries to make everyone
> happy, the result is that it makes some advanced users happy by allowing
> a lot of different configuration options. The side effect of this is of
> course that the simple users get confused of all the options.

That actually is a very common problem in open source projects; if
someone's writing code for free, it can be difficult to tell them "but
you have to do it this way, not that way," or even worse, "no, we don't
want that, because it doesn't fit with our project goals." It's a
difficult balance to strike.

As an advanced user who's currently happy, I just hope that the pendulum
doesn't swing too far in the other direction. :)

- Marc