egd;253792 Wrote:
> Have I misunderstood your point or are you implying that you should not
> be  able to rip a CD you have purchased, so as to make the tracks
> available to slimserver and perhaps even create mp3 tracks to copy to
> your portable music player?

Oops :)  No, that's not my view at all. I'd be kind of a hypocrite if
it were! Taken to a logical extreme my view would allow an
artist/publisher to specify that restriction if they wanted to but I
think copyright law actually puts some useful restrictions on what can
be required - e.g. by allowing things like format and time shifting.
I'm happy to pay for a license to listen to music, but I do object to
having to pay for 5 licenses :)  Likewise I don't think that a ringtone
is a seperate copyrightable work given that it's basically just a 30
second sample of the original recording, but AFAIK that one's yet to be
tested.

The copy I was referring to in your quote would be a person-to-person
copy via file sharing, borrow & rip, tape-to-tape, or whatever the
technology du jour is.

--
radish