I started an rsync job last night on my Solaris box and it was still
running this morning (and still running now!) so I wanted to see if I
could figure out how much it had done.  It was scheduled via cron so I
have no output on it. I had the idea to use Dtrace to show what files
were being opened on the system.  Dtrace showed each file being copied
but what I was surprised to see was some of the activity from
SlimServer, particularly the frequent call to /etc/protocols.  It will
make 8 seperate requests right in a row, then wait for awhile and do it
again.

What's in that file that's so interesting to SlimServer?

--
4mula1

SlimServer 6.5.4 + Solaris 10 x86: Because Linux would've been too easy!