Nikhil;263257 Wrote:

> 1) If you want to access a remote SlimServer that has a changing IP
> address with a Physical SqueezeBox (not with softsqueeze - I know how
> to do that), is it possible to enter a Dynamic DNS host name (as
> against an IP address) onto the device? Or alternatively can one of the
> plugins on slimserver (such as Michael Herger's ServerSwitcher be
> configured to do a DNS lookup and then allow switching to that remote
> server via the remote (or the controller) interface?

Adding DNS lookup to the player would be the way to go for this, IMHO.
I don't believe it's currently possible, but it would seem reasonable
to add. No server-side functionality will work as obviously the player
isn't connected to the server at the time of the lookup :)  I'd take a
look in bugs.slimdevices.com and add an enhancement request if there
isn't one already there.

> 2) I currently have my flacs transcoding to 192 kbps mp3s for remote
> streaming, which is fine. But I was wondering if there is a way to
> dynamically adjust the encoding bitrate in real time in response to the
> available bandwidth? i.e. something like the Slingbox does - I have seen
> it scale from 8mbps down to 96 kbps depending on what was available.
> Which codecs support this feature? wma? hd-aac? open source?

Slimserver only supports streaming as mp3, and it doesn't have any kind
of autonegotiation. That kind of thing really needs co-operation between
the client and the server, and the basic mp3 streaming protocol doesn't
include that. I believe the wma streaming protocol does (and probably
others) but they are typically far from open, particularly if you want
to build s stream host.

--
radish