Sorry to raise an old thread, but it seems a relevant starting point.

I am using SqueezeCenter 7 and two Squeezebox 1s (firmware 40) with the
0-100 volume control.  However, the relationship between the volume
setting and perceived volume output seems all wrong to me:
(a) not much happens as you drop from 100>40, output drops from 0 to
-10dB
(b) reasonable control between 40>10, output drops from -10dB to -25dB
(c) far too coarse control between 10>0, output drops from -25dB to
-50dB

I have measure the output and plotted this in the attachment, where the
(linear) volume control setting from 0-100 is shown against the (log)
audio level output from 0 to -50dB - see "Actual Respose" line.

You can see that, whereas it should be a straight line relationship in
this lin/log chart, it is actually a curve, indicating the volume
control drives the control voltage of the voltage-controlled gain
section linearly, whereas it should be driven logarithmically.

I would suggest that (as shown by the "Preferred Response?" line) the
output should drop by 0.5dB for each volume step - linearly throughout
the range.

Is there a plug-in to fix this, or would a software update be needed?
Having only 100 values, a simple look-up table would suffice, surely?
Any volunteers?  Anybody agree with me?  :-)

|Filename: sb_vol_1.jpg                                             |
|Download: http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4367|

mooblie