Itlan;272649 Wrote:

> Some techweenies did some high end comparison of ripped files versus
> the original and they were damn near identical. You can searhc on their
> forums and find it under reviews or something.

I'd believe it is actually quite close, but I expect it is technically
feasible to recompress the PCM back into an AAC stream that is
_identical_ to the original.

Probably this could be done by first doing a regular PCM->AAC
compression, and then repeatedly decode that AAC file, each time
identifying differences and tuning the compressed data until the
decompressed output exactly matches the "master" PCM version. In other
words, you're doing a kind of search, and you'll know you've found the
right input stream when it generates the same output.

This may sound like it would be too CPU intensive for practical
purposes, but actually I think it's quite feasible and could be done in
only a few passes. However, to be efficient it require that the
algorithm know a bit about AAC, and have some ability to figure out
which way to tweak the stream by comparing the input to the output. So
it's a significant engineering challenge, requiring intimate knowledge
of AAC.

Also this would be done one frame at a time - that's a fairly short
signal, and therefore a small search space, so it seems to me that this
should be tractable.

--
seanadams