It must be a qnap issue - if I fire up slimserver on a mac there is no
problem.

what puzzles me is that "date" shows correctly on the qnap, even in the
chroot environment.

the default TZ in chroot is UTC, so I can't see why that is a problem.
Changing it to "UK/London" or "GMT" doesn't fix anything.

I've looked at the scripts posted elsewhere but somewhat wary of
running them (I'm no linux expert, and I'm deeply wary of running
scripts I don't understand), or permanently modifying
M050-slimserver.sh, without having a clearer understanding of what is
going on.

I would like to fix it - it's bugging me - and I use my SB3 as my alarm
clock!!) Presumably the answer lies in gammelgam's post (export
TZ=CET-1CEST-2,M3.5.0/02:00:00,M10.5.0/03:00:00 to get probably the
right time zone for sweden) but again I am wary of solutions I don't
understand.

Can anyone help? or should I just wait until the clocks change!

--
cycloid