I've got a MacPro 2.66 Powermac coming. It has no wireless. I currently
use a laptop with an external HD to store music on. It connects
wirelessly and I use the SB3 to control the music.

I had used the SB3 to give Internet access to a Dell running Ubuntu as
it did not have a wireless card. It worked fine. It is now out of the
picture. So I know the SB3 can host wireless access for a computer
through its Ethernet port.

So tonight for an experiment I hooked the Mac laptop up to the SB3 to
see how it might work. Once I cut the wireless connection on the
laptop, the Network system preferences gave me a green light, but said
it could not obtain an IP address, and off course the music library
running through the laptop would not play.

Forgive me on this, but it seems like I can't have it both ways. The
laptop can't act as a music server when it is relying on the SB3 for a
network connection? I assume when I put the Mac Pro 2.66, acting as the
server, I will run into the same problem.

Any suggestions? I'm going to try to have the Apple Store install a
Extreme Wifi card in the Mac Pro but I've heard there have been a lot
of issues on these retrofits as the 2.0 and 2.66 (now end of life) did
not come standard with Bluetooth or Airport Wifi.

--
Jazz1