JJZolx;287952 Wrote:
> I'd expect that behavior to break some day.  If you mean to hide albums
> on which the artist appears on only some tracks then I don't think that
> was ever intended.  The COMPILATION tag really only has meaning for
> albums, not the tracks.  That it might influence how the artist is
> categorized for individual tracks isn't that surprising, but certainly
> isn't documented or expected.

Technically you could have 2 albums with the same name - one an artist
album and one a compilation various hits album. The tracks would need
to be indexed separately, so the tagging would have to work long term.

I guess everybody's needs are different. I personally exclusively use
the AlbumArtist tag and on various artists albums I apply an
AlbumArtist tag of "[Compilations]". On tracks that are performed by
artists elsewhere in my collection, I tag them with that artist as the
AlbumArtist. I effectively use it as a track artist tag.

--
jaffacake