I expect at some point--and I obviously don't have any inside info on
this--that there will be a Logitech branded tiny, fanless computer
that you plug an external USB drive into.  All it will do is run
Squeezecenter and it will find the files on the USB drive.  If someone
wanted to get crazy, maybe it would have a CD drive and software to
rip & encode too.

I think this would be good for people who are not technical, but leave
things open for those who want to run it other places.

I know this has been discussed in other threads, but with a large
parent company, I wouldn't be surprised to see this happen now.  Just
have to see.  Personally, I've never had an unsolvable problem with
the software, but I know others have.  My network is virtually all
wired which really helps minimize problems, too.

Kevin

On Apr 7, 2008, at 08:21 , seanadams wrote:

> willyhoops;288507 Wrote:
>>
>> Steve Jobs of Apple, on the other hand brings the geeks down to earth
>> and designs proprietary, easy to use and aesthetically appealing
>> products that consumers love.
>
> ... and which have good development tools plus a full Unix environment
> accessible for advanced users. You have to drive it from both sides -
> having dumbed down single-function products might be OK for iPods, but
> for the Macs and iPhone they realize full well that you have to
> attract
> the power users and developers if it's to have any value as a
> platform.
> They got this pretty much wrong vs PCs the first time around.
>
> So, you've made an apt comparison but I disagree with your conclusion.
> I think it is perfectly possible to make Squeezebox products easy to
> use without sacrificing their geek appeal. Just because we have a
> place
> for people to come and talk about plugins, beta releases, running on
> linux, etc does not mean that we expect everyone to participate in
> that.
>

> --
> seanadams

Kevin O. Lepard, MD, PhD, FACEP, FAAEM

Happiness is being 100% Microsoft free.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message and any attachments to it are
intended for use only by the addressee(s), and may contain privileged
or confidential information.  If you are not the intended recipient,
you are not authorized to read, print, copy or disseminate this
message or any attachments to it, or to take any action based on
them.  If you have received this message in error, please permanently
delete or destroy the original and any copy of this message.