aubuti wrote:
rbl;288955 Wrote:
Thanks, but does a wired solution actually help? Surely it just stops
intereference, but the network speed won't be much better (signal
strength in my flat is pretty good). I do think about upgrading to a
gigabit setup which I guess would help, but these gigabit setups still
seem to be fairly unusual, and I suspect my Buffalo Linkstation wont
benefit anyway.

Is there a way to monitor what is going on on a network from my laptop?
I would expect regular 100Mbs ethernet to be at least 2x faster than
your wifi, even if your wifi has no interference. Certainly try that
before investing in anything gigabit.

Gigabit is not really that expensive any more, but it won't give you a 10x speedup either. I get about 200 Mbps with file trnsfers between my laptops and server over GB ethernet. With wireless I would be very pleased to achieve 54Mbit with real world filetransfers, I don't think I've ever seen that.

Regards,
Peter