copernical;288975 Wrote:
> Oh Dear! I spoke too soon.
> A few hours later and I had the same problems. Difficulty to get the SB
> to connect to the network and when it finally did, the signal strength
> was again down to 10% without my having moved anything. I can't
> understand how it is changing so much.
>
> I'm certainly not going to mess around trying to run a cable. That was
> the whole reason why I bought the SB - because of the wireless
> connection. I'm only going down one floor and sideways about 20 ft.
> Admittedly it's through a floor and a wall - but hey surely it can
> manage that?

If I had to guess, I'd say that you have external interference that's
reducing your wireless signal strength.  2.4GHz is a very crowded
spectrum, with all kinds of devices competing for bandwdith and
signal.

If possible, I would use either NetStumbler (for Windows, get it
'*here*' (http://www.netstumbler.com/)) or iStumbler (for Mac, get it
'*here*' (http://www.istumbler.net/)) and look at the wireless networks
in your area.  Try to find a channel that's either a minimum of 4 steps
apart from other routers and use that.  If you can't find one, look for
a channel between the channels used by the two weakest router signals in
the list and use that.

The other nice thing is that both of these apps can graphically display
signal strength so you can see any fluctuations in what's being received
by the antenna in your computer.  You can compare that to changes in the
Controller's signal strength to see if they match, which would help
isolate whether this is a Controller- or network-specific issue.

-=> Jim

--
JimC

"well, she wasn't all of that, but she sure was some of that."  --
BKlaas' college buddy