"The SB3 gets the IP adress automatically, no problem. It then says
192.etc.etc 'Simon1' (my music folder) then 'Conecting to Slimserver'
then nothing. SB3 screen just goes blank."

If you are getting that IP address message then the home plugs must be
working. The router has received the request for an IP address and has
allocated one and replied with the new address back to the SB3.
Therefore the network is working all the way from the SB3 to the router
and back again.
The problem lies in the server to router to SB3 path. Have you ever
tried connecting the SB3 wired direct to the router? This is
effectively what you have done using the homeplugs.
I've been using homeplugs very successfully, even using them on
different ring circuits in the house.

--
Lesu