Thanks both of you for your quick and detailed responses. I will work
through the suggestions at the weekend.

For info, this is the current report from the Squeezecenter help

Signal Strength
< 10 :        0 :  0%
< 20 :        0 :  0%
< 30 :        0 :  0%
< 40 :        0 :  0%
< 50 :        7 :  0%
< 60 :       64 :  2% #
< 70 :      690 : 26% #############
< 80 :     1833 : 70% ###################################
< 90 :       22 :  1%
< 100 :        0 :  0%
>=100 :        0 :  0%
max  : 81.000000
min  : 44.000000
avg  : 70.069954

Doesn't look too good to me! There are no other wireless devices on the
network - occasionally a laptop when my girlfriend comes over, but that
works fine, and the problem occurs when she isn't here anyway.
Cordless phone or microwave not in use at the time either. I would
guess something must be intefering though for there to be such a
variation in the strength, or is that not necessarily the case?

Router is about 40cm off the floor in a corner of the room next to a
desk, and the duet receiver (not controller - that seems to work fine)
is on top of the hi-fi in the opposite diagonal corner of the room.
Hope that makes sense. I will try and relocate the router on the desk
instead of "boxed" into the corner near the floor.

Thanks again
Nick

--
nickg1977