My CD-player had no digital output, but my recently bought DVD-recorder
(Sony RDR-HX750) has a digital coax output and can also play audio
CD's.
I burned my test track to an audio CD and played it on the
DVD_recorder.
The result was the same click-problem in combination with the blinking
NOLOCK.
I also tried original bought CD's and they gave the same problem.
So the Primare processor must be the cause of the click-problem.

There is unfortunately no option to force the input to "PCM" or
"Stereo" mode and disabling auto-detection of surround sound formats.
See
http://www.sumikoaudio.net/primare/manuals/spa21_manual.pdf

--
bloemert